Friday, August 7, 2009

Yeh Dilli Hai Mere Yaar!

As the train tore through the northern part of Bihar and UP, a revelation that got to me was that never ever travel in a sleeper class! A normal reserved three seater berth became quite a five seater and even at times a sixth one said “Zara adjust kijiye….”
Most of the morning I was sitting as straight as Gautama Buddha under the Mahabodhi tree seeking for enlightment (in this case it was the feet of the people seating on the top berth with aromatic footwear……).
After much struggle I managed to reach New Delhi……the capital.
Why am I at Delhi???
This is my fifth visit to New Delhi and this one is going to be long……really long.
This time it is not about the Red Fort, Jantar Mantar, Qutub Minar…….it’s about life, a decision and definitely a challenge.
The very first day in my new class was quite an eye opener….. People from different works of life, different backgrounds and cultures are here…… and are here to only win…..
The prize …….
A job as a NDTV broadcaster!!!!
The second day exposed a part of the city that I never expected…..Rain.
It rained like dinosaurs and Godzillas for the whole day resulting in water logging and widespread jams throughout the city. I was stuck in that for two and a half hours.
I got down from the auto and started walking…….. Completely drenched in the torrential shower, I took refuge in a shop.
“New in Delhi?” asked a young guy standing beside me.
“Ya”….. I said,” does it rain often like this?”
“No…..” the guy smiled,” but when it does it’s quite an event……!”
Flyovers, auto fares, fruit juices, kebabs and Punjabi kudis make up the capital city of India. Here one moment you may get disgusted, the other surprised…… but at the end you have to shake your head and say………
“Yeh Dilli Hai Mere Yaar!”

No comments:

Post a Comment